Senior Citizen Saving Scheme | Senior Citizen Saving Scheme Interest Rate | Post Office Senior Citizen Saving Scheme | SCSS Scheme
The government of India has started Senior Citizen Saving Accounts with the aim to help senior citizens ensure a continuous source of income after retirement. It is a government-backed saving scheme for senior citizens of our country. Today in this article we will provide the complete details about the Post Office Senior Citizen Saving Scheme SCSS such as eligibility, documents required, objectives, benefits, how to apply for it, etc so that it will be easier for you guys to understand and apply for the scheme so be with us till the end of the article.
Senior Citizen Saving Scheme (SCSS Scheme)
In 2004 the government of India introduced Senior Citizen Scheme. Individuals who attain the age of 60 years and above are eligible for this scheme. As it is a government-backed saving scheme so it gives guaranteed returns on a quarterly. SCSS Scheme offers interest at the rate of 7.4% per annum which is higher compared to other Savings and Fixed Deposit (FD) accounts. The objective of this scheme is to help seniors save money for retirement and receive quarterly interest payments.
Under this scheme, an applicant can invest a minimum amount of rs 1,000 and a maximum amount of Rs. 15 Lakh or the amount received on retirement, whichever is lower. Applicants can only make a deposit only once, at the time of opening an account. while depositing the amount, if the amount is less than Rs 1 lakhs then you can deposit it through the case but if the amount is more than Rs 1 lakhs then you have to pay it through cheque.
Interested beneficiaries can apply for this scheme through Post offices and banks. We have explained step by step procedure on how to apply for the SCSS account.
|About||Senior Citizen Saving Scheme (SCSS Scheme)|
|Started By||Indian Government Department Of Post Office|
|Beneficiary||Senior Citizen Of Our Country|
|Objective||To provide A Regular Income After They Attain The Age Of 60 Years Old|
|Interest Rate||7.4% p.a.|
|Investment Amount||The maximum amount that can be deposited is Rs 15 lakh|
|Official website||Click Here|
Objective Of Senior Citizen Saving Scheme
The objective of the SCSS Scheme is to provide regular income after attaining 60 years of age to senior citizens in India. They can use their saving at that time they can live a good and relax free life-saving amount. They do not have to ask anyone for financial assistance in their old age.
Benefits And Features Of Post Office Senior Citizen Saving Scheme
- Guarantee Returns: SCSS Scheme is a government-funded saving scheme and it is one of the safest and most reliable investment options for senior citizens.
- High-Interest Rate: SCSS Scheme offers interest at the rate of 7.4% per annum. The returns of SCSS are higher as compared to Savings and Fixed Deposit (FD) accounts.
- Tax Benefits: Under Section 80C of the Income Tax Act 1961, the individual is eligible for a tax deduction of up to Rs. 1.5 lakh per annum. If the interest generated is more than Rs 10,000 per annum, then tax will be deducted.
- Quarterly Interest Payouts: The interest amount is paid quarterly to the account holders thereby ensuring a payback period in your investments. Interest will be credited on the first day of April, July, October, and January of each financial year.
SCSS Interest Rate
The SCSS interest rate is reviewed quarterly and is subject to change from time to time.
|Time Period||Interest Rate (% annually)|
|April to June (Q1 FY 2022-23||7.4|
|Jan to Mar (Q4 FY 2021-22)||7.4|
|Oct to Dec (Q3 FY 2021-22)||7.4|
|Jul to Sep (Q2 FY 2021-22)||7.4|
|April to June (Q1 FY 2021-22)||7.4|
|Jan to March 2021 (Q4 FY 2020-21)||7.4|
|Oct to Dec 2020 (Q3 FY 2020-21)||7.4|
|Jul to Sep 2020 (Q2 FY 2020-21)||7.4|
|Apr to Jun 2020 (Q1 FY 2020-21)||7.4|
|Jan to March (Q4 FY 2019-20)||8.6|
|Oct to Dec 2019 (Q3 FY 2019-20)||8.6|
|Jul to Sep 2019 (Q2 FY 2019-20)||8.6|
|Apr to Jun 2019 (Q1 FY 2019-20)||8.7|
|Jan to March 2019 (Q4 FY 2018-19)||8.7|
|Oct to Dec 2018 (Q3 FY 2018-19)||8.7|
|Jul to Sep 2018 (Q2 FY 2018-19)||8.3|
|Apr to Jun 2018 (Q1 FY 2018-19)||8.3|
|Jan to March 2018 (Q4 FY 2017-18)||8.3|
|Oct to Dec 2017 (Q3 FY 2017-18)||8.3|
|Jul to Sep 2017 (Q2 FY 2017-18)||8.3|
|Apr to Jun 2017 (Q1 FY 2017-18)||8.4|
Eligibility Criteria For Post Office Senior Citizen Saving Scheme
The eligibility criteria for Senior Citizen Saving Scheme (SCSS Scheme) are as follows:
- Applicants aged 60 years or above are eligible for the SCSS Scheme.
- Retired civilian employees above 55 years and below 60 years of age, subject to the condition that the investment is to be made within 1 month of receipt of retirement benefits.
- Retired Defense personnel aged above 50 years and below 60 years of age, subject to the condition that the investment is made within 1 month of receipt of retirement benefits.
- The investment must be made within a month of availing of the retirement benefits
- The account can be opened individually or only jointly with the spouse.
- Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) are not eligible to open an SCSS account.
- Hindu Undivided Families (HUFs) are also not eligible to open an SCSS account.
Documents Required For Post Office Senior Citizen Saving Scheme
The following documents are needed to apply for Senior Citizen Saving Scheme (SCSS Scheme) :
- Form A has to be filled out for opening an SCSS account.
- Identity proof like PAN card, Passport.
- An aadhar card is mandatory.
- Address proof such as Telephone bill.
- A document for proof of age is required.
- 2 Passport size photographs.
How To Apply For Post Office Senior Citizen Saving Scheme?
- First of all, you have to visit your nearest Post Office Branch.
- Now take an Application Form for the SCSS scheme from the post office or you can download it from the given link.
- Now fill in all the details asked in the application form such as:
- Post office Branch details.
- Post office saving account details, if you have any.
- Personal details.
- Choose the type of account holder.
- Choose the type of account.
- Residence Details, etc.
- After filling in all the details attach the mentioned document and submit it to the post office.
How To Apply For Senior Citizen Saving Scheme Through Banks?
- First of all, you have to visit your nearest Post Office Branch.
- Simply take the application form from the bank.
- Then fill in all the details asked in the application form.
- After filling in all the details attached all the mentioned documents and submit them to the Bank.
- By following the above step you can easily apply for the SCSS scheme.
List Of Bank Offers SCSS Account Facility
|Bank Name||Application Form|
|Bank of Baroda||Bank of Baroda|
|Syndicate Bank||Syndicate Bank merge With Canara Bank So Application Form Are the Same.|
|Punjab National Bank||Application Form|
|Union Bank of India||Application Form|
|Corporation Bank||Merged With Union Bank Of India|
|Canara Bank||Syndicate Bank|
|UCO Bank||Application Form|
|Bank of India||Application Form|
|Dena Bank||Merged With Bank Of Baroda|
|State Bank of India||Application Form|
|Andhra Bank||Merged With Union bank Of India|
|IDBI Bank||Application Form|
|Vijaya Bank||Merged With Band Of Baroda|
|Allahabad Bank||Merged With Indian Bank|
Premature Closure Of Senior Citizen Saving Account
- The account holder can close the prematurely at any time after the date of account opening.
- If the account is closed before 1 year, no interest will be payable, and if any interest is paid in the account will be recovered from the principal.
- if the account is closed after 1 year but before 2 years from the date of opening, an amount equal to 1.5% of the principal amount will be deducted.
- If the account is closed after 2 years but before 5 years from the date of opening, an amount equal to 1% will be deducted from the principal amount.
- The extended account can be closed after the expiry of one year from the date of extension of the account without any deduction.
Account Closed On Maturity
- The account can be closed after 5 years from the date of opening the account by submitting the prescribed application form along with the passbook at the concerned post office.
- In case of death of the account holder, from the date of death, the account shall earn interest at the rate of the PO Savings Account.
- If the spouse is a joint holder or a sole nominee, the account can be continued till maturity if the spouse is eligible to open an SCSS account and the other is not an SCSS account.
What is Senior Citizen Saving Scheme?
Under this scheme, the applicant can open a saving account with a minimum deposit of Rs 1000 to a maxim deposit of Rs 15 lakhs.